On June 30, 2018, the US EPA launched a system that provides electronic tracking for hazardous waste shipments (“e-Manifest”). This system streamlines cradle-to-grave hazardous waste tracking for generators, transporters, and receiving facilities.
Use of the e-Manifest system is optional. Treatment, storage, and disposal (TSD) facilities and receiving facilities are responsible for submitting data to the US EPA for all hazardous waste manifested shipments. Manifests may be submitted through regular mail (paper manifest), by scanning a PDF image to US EPA, by a hybrid of scanning and entering data, or by creating and submitting complete electronic e-Manifests in the system.
Heritage-Crystal Clean, LLC (HCC) will continue to use paper manifests after the effective date of June 30, 2018 as the DOT still requires paper manifests for the transport of hazardous materials. HCC considers this course of action to be the most stable, safe, and compliant. This process is like our previous manifest practices and should not require additional actions by our customers or transporters. HCC will transition to a fully electronic e-Manifest when we are confident that our customers and receiving facilities are fully prepared.
- e-Manifest systems will affect everyone including generators, transporters, receiving facilities, US EPA, and state agencies.
- e-Manifest data is required to be submitted by the receiving facility to the US EPA within 30 days of waste receipt. This applies whether the generator uses the e-Manifest system or paper manifests.
- The manifest is the only paperwork that should be submitted to the US EPA (e.g. no LDRs).
- Manifest data will be made available to the public 90 days after receipt to the US EPA.
- Receiving facilities are required to submit the data for state-regulated waste even if the waste is not regulated by the destination state.
- No claims of Confidential Business Information (CBI) are allowed with limited exceptions (e.g. Homeland Security).
This link to the US EPA Generators Fact Sheet provides information on how to register on the new e-Manifest system:
In order to access e-Manifest here is a link on how to obtain an EPA ID Number on EPA Form 8700-12: https://rcrainfo.epa.gov/rcrainfoprod/action/secured/login